Hello guys, I’m back after a short (medium sized to be honest) break. Actually I dint mean to take such a long break but there were some other things in life which needed my attention on priority basis. And I had to step up this time instead of juggling with things. In the race of busy daily life cooking on daily basis became a luxury; gradually blogging was left little behind. But now my foodie soul needs a break from the monotonous life to enjoy the last few drops of summer. A (read, few) scoop(s) of ice cream always sound like a perfect summer treat to me. And guess what? It’s not your regular simple ice cream. It’s super creamy Spicy Mango Ice-cream and completely dairy free (vegan). Did I mention, you won’t require any ice cream machine? Meaning, No Churn Vegan Mango Ice cream treats for all. Yuppie!!
We all believe ice creams are meant to be sweet (sometimes, super sweet) thick and creamy with/without crunch. But how about an ice cream with spicy, sweet, tangy flavours, combined with some real fruit? It may sound absurd but it definitely tastes heavenly and that’s all matters!
Personally I’m lactose intolerant so it is hard for me to enjoy store bought ice creams or frozen desserts so I make my own vegan ice creams with different options. Last year I used soy yogurt to make Vegan Red Grape Ice cream but this time I combined coconut milk with coconut cream to add the touch of fresh tropical flavour. One more thing, I also replaced sugar or condensed milk with honey. You are welcome to substitute the honey with any sweetener according to your preference.
Here is the detailed video recipe of Vegan Spicy Mango Ice cream without sugar or preservatives or artificial coloring.
Preparation Time: 05 mins
Cooking Time: 00 mins
Resting Time: 60 mins
Total Time: 65 mins
Yield: 1 ltr.
Read the entire recipe and tips carefully before you start cooking.
Do make sure all ingredients are at room temperature (unless mentioned) and weighted or measured correctly in appropriate weighing machine or measuring instruments such as cups or spoons. Remember these are not your regular cups or spoons which you use in your daily life.
Sweet Mangoes, fresh or frozen: 250g, I used fresh mangoes
Coconut cream: 250 ml
Coconut milk: 200 ml
Honey: 3-4 tbsp
Spicy Mango Jam: 4-5 tbsp, mixed with 1 tsp of water
Handful of chopped mangoes,
A large bowl,
Freezer safe bowl/container.
Wash and clean the mangoes carefully. Cut the mangoes into cubes and deseed them. I know it is such a ‘pain in the ass’ job but you need not skip this step for the sake of your foodie soul! (See Tips)
Add chopped mangoes (save a handful for later use) in a blender and puree them. Leave them bit chunky (not large one) to add little texture to the ice-cream. (See Tips)
Pour the coconut cream in the blender and blend until combined. Mixture should be very thick and smooth. (See Tips)
Add the coconut milk into the mixture and blend for another 10-15 secs or until everything incorporate.
Pour honey or sweetener and give it a quick blend.
Now pour the mixture in a freezer safe bowl, seal it with cling film and freeze for 1 hr. (See Tips)
Remove after specified time and blend the ice cream mixture in a blender. Pour back the mixture in the freezer safe bowl and freeze for another hour.
Repeat the process for 3-4 times more. (See Tips)
Finally when you will get your desired nice creamy texture in your ice cream, take the Spicy Mango Jam in a small bowl, add few drops of water and stir to make it smooth.
Add dollops of jam in ice-cream mixture. Take a thin knife and swirl through the mixture. Add few more drops of jam on top if desired. Also add few mango chunks to enhance the taste and freeze it for final 4 hrs. Or you can leave it for overnight. Remove the bowl from freezer just 3-10 mins (depending on your climate) before serving and take out scoops of ice creams and serve immediately. (See Tips)
Garnish the serving bowl with fresh chunks of mangoes & mint leaves on top. Use mango or peach syrup on top for further garnish but make sure you use only 1-2 tsp otherwise the ice-cream flavor will be over powdered by syrup.
1. Use yogurt instead of milk and/or cream.
2. Use any regular milk and/or cream instead of coconut milk and/or cream.
3. Use any other fruits instead of mangoes.
4. Use any frozen fruits (thawed completely) or syrup of your choice.
5. Use any other spices of your choice to go with mango instead of mango jam. Like cardamom, cinnamon or just ginger. Play with the flavours.
1. Chopped mangoes puree evenly and quite quickly, may be a whip only.
2. No one likes ice cream which has large pulpy chunks of real fruits in it. But tiny pieces of the fruits will pop up with a layer of texture in the same ice cream.
3. Use a hand held whisker to whisk coconut cream if your cream is frozen or chunky.
4. Always cover the pan/bowl with cling film, otherwise your ice cream will be icy and will taste like sorbet.
5. Without churning (blending/grinding the ice cream) the ice cream 3-4 times, ice cream won’t be creamy and smooth.
6. Removing the frozen ice cream just before serving may trouble you to scoop out portions. It is safe to remove it 5-10 mins before serving so that ice cream will be moist and nicely creamy.
You may also like
Eat, Love & Enjoy! And Repeat!!!