Summer is knocking on the door. And nothing can be better than Mishti Doi or Mitha Dahi to automatically cool down your body & soul. I’ve picked this Bengali easy Mishti Doi or Sweet Yogurt, a healthy low fat dessert for you very wisely. One of my favorite desserts on summer is simple sweet yogurt with different flavors. It is low in fat and completely healthy.
You must be thinking,”yogurt and dessert!” I know most of you use yogurt either as part of main course or dip or may be sometime you enjoy your chilled yogurt with salad. But let me share a secret here, Mishti Dahi or Sweet Yogurt is a traditional Bengali dessert item which is locally known as Mishti Doi. No Bengali occasion is complete without Doi bengali Mishti or Sweet Yogurt and Sweets. It is not your regular yogurt. Also it is not at all runny as curd. It is thick, dense and more like creamy cheese cake.
There are many procedures available for preparing Homemade Sweet Yogurt. Here I’ll be explaining three different processes: Traditional, Baked and No Cook No Bake Quick Process. You can have your pick on the base of time and ingredients you have in your hand.
The Traditional Process of Homemade Sweet Yogurt requires hell lot patience and perfect timing. Reducing the milk is not an easy job. If you are keen to try the authentic version or don’t have any other option go for this process.
Bengali Mishti Doi or Mitha Dahi
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Bengali, Indian
Serves: 500 ml
- Milk: 1 lt (preferable full fat)
- Sugar: 5 tbsp
- Curd/yogurt: 5 tbsp (Homemade or store bought)
- Boil milk in a heavy deep bottomed saucepan until volume is reduced to almost half of the original.
- Remove milk from the flame and add sugar. Stir to allow the sugar to dissolve in the milk. Keep the pan aside to cool it down to warm.
- In a small bowl take homemade or store bought curd or yogurt and beat well until it becomes smooth and lump free.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of warm milk into the beaten curd. Again beat to make a smooth puree. Adjust the sweetness now.
- Pour the milk-yogurt mix into the warm milk of the pan and stir slowly.
- Arrange the glass bowls in which you wish to serve the sweet yogurt or any large glass bowl which can hold the complete milk mixture. Pour the warm milk mixture into the bowls/bowl evenly with a ladle. Keep them in a warm place for 4-6 hrs untouched. It is important to leave them untouched otherwise you will not get thick dense sweet yogurt. After waiting period refrigerate them for 1 hr minimum and serve chilled. If you want garnish the sweet yogurt with pistachio or saffron strands.