Feeling hot hot hot
Me mind on fire, me soul on fire feeling hot hot hot”
And the only thing giving me a bit relief from this scorching heat is chilled Mishti Doi in an earthen pot. Looking for better option than mishti doi? Nolen Gurer Mishti Doi is the definite answer if you want to cherish winter on this hot humid summer days. Nolen Gurer Mishti Doiis a typical Bengali delicacy which has now gained popularity worldwide. It is nothing but a sweet yogurt (Mishti Doi)flavored and sweetened with Nolen Guraka date palm jaggery. Sometimes green cardamom is added to enhance the richness and flavour of the jaggery.
In case you are using milk, take 500ml milk in a thick bottomed pan and keep boiling until reduces to 200ml approximately or at least half of it’s original volume. Follow the Instructions from here.
Now start whisking the yogurt with a manual whisk gently. If you are keen to use flavouring agents like ground cardamom or saffron add now. (See Tips)
- Greek yogurt: 400 ml
- Or, full fat or regular yogurt: 400ml
- Condensed milk: 100ml
- Cream: 200ml
- Or, regular milk: 500 ml, boiled till reduced to less than half or more or less 200 ml
- Jaggery, powdered: ½ cup (adjust according to personal preference)
- Ground cardamom: ¼ tsp (optional)
- To Serve:
- Handful of chopped almonds or pistachios
- Little bit or grated jaggery or few spoons of molasses
- Mix the Greek yogurt or freshly made hung curd, fresh cream or thick milk and jaggery together in a large glass bowl. Whisk till jaggery dissolves completely, about 3-5 mins.
- If you are keen to use flavouring agents like ground cardamom or saffron add now. (See Tips)
- Take few earthen or ceramic pots and pour yogurt mixture in them carefully. (See Tips)
- Now arrange the bowls in a large baking pan/tray. Fill the half of the pan with steaming hot water in such a way that bottom of yogurt filled ceramic pots are dipped in water. Watch the Video above for better understanding.
- Cover the top of each pot with small strip of metallic foil completely.
- Bake the yogurt in preheated (170C) oven for 30-40 mins at 170C or until yogurt is set.
- Once done allow it to cool a bit in oven as water in the pan is too hot right now to peel your skin off.
- Remove yogurt from oven and bring to room temperature and later refrigerate for 1-2 hrs. (See Tips)
1. I personally prefer to enjoy the smokiness in nolen gur er doi so I never add any other flavours in it. But if you are not so comfortable with the dominating flavour of date palm jaggery use ground green cardamom or 1-2 drop of cardamom essence. Some people use saffron too. It’s your personal preference; I’m leaving that upto you.
2. Make sure you keep the speed of electric whisk on lowest possible number and don’t whisk more than 2 mins at a time. Otherwise yogurt can split and it will never hold together again.
3. The aroma of wet earthen pots actually enriches the flavour of any kind of doi/dahi/ yogurt.
4. The most important step of this instant yogurt recipe is chilling the yogurt in refrigerator for 1 hr. minimum. Otherwise yogurt won’t set, it will be more like dense sweet cream. More chilling time equals to thicker mishti doi.